BOGI Fair Competition
The Competition is a corner stone of the BOGI Fair. It is how BOGI can show the public that wonderful plants and food can be created using organic methods.
Rules for the BOGI Fair Competition:
- All entrants must be current BOGI Members except for the children’s section.
- All fruit and vegetables must be organically grown.
- No Commercial products will be accepted.
- No soil is to be left on the roots of plants or they will not be accepted.
- Entries in the Container Plant Section will only be accepted from Fire Ant areas with the appropriate DPI Permit.
- Entries can be accepted between 2.00pm and 4.00pm on the Saturday before Fair Day and between 7.00am and 8.45am on the Fair Day.
- All food must be covered with clear cellophane or plastic wrap.
Prizes will be:
- First Prize $5 Voucher
- Second Prize $2 Voucher
Vouchers can be used on any BOGI Product (BOGI Shop, BOGI Books, or BOGI Seeds).
Entry Fees: $2 for up to six entries, $4 for up to twelve entries
Auction of Competition Entries:
All entrants will be asked if they will donate their entries to BOGI to be auctioned after 2.00 pm on Fair Day. All entries not being auctioned must be collected between 1.30 pm and 2.00 pm on Fair Day, otherwise they are fair game for the auctioneers!
Competition Sections and Criteria
Please note – if there are several entries of any item not listed here on the day, a new category will be created.
Fruit and Vegetables
1. Beetroot – 3 of any type, leaves attached
2. Cabbage – 1 of any type with outer leaves, with or without roots
3. Lettuce – 1 of any type with roots
4. Cherry Tomatoes – Small plate any variety with calyx
5. Standard Tomatoes – 3 of any variety with calyx
6. Silverbeet – 6 stalks of any variety
7. Kale 6 stalks of any variety
8. Carrots – 3 with tops of any variety
9. Beans/Peas – plate of any variety
10. Radishes – bunch of 6 with tops, any variety (if Daikon 3 with tops will be accepted)
11. Zucchini – 3 of any variety
12. Cucumber – 2 of any variety
13. Asian Vegetables – 2 of any variety
14. Potatoes – 3 of any Variety
15. Sweet Potatoes – 2 of any variety
16. Onions – 2 of any variety
17. Broccoli – 1 head
18. Eggplant - 2 or 3 of any variety
19. Miscellaneous Vegies – 1 or 2 of any variety or small plateful in the case of small items
20. Pawpaw – 1 of any variety (judge may cut in half)
21. Citrus – 2 of any variety with stalk
22. Strawberries – small plate
23. Pineapple – 1 with top
24. Passionfruit – 2 of any variety
25. Most unusual fruit or vegetable
26. Miscellaneous/Tropical/Native fruit - 1 if it is large, 2 if medium, plateful if small
27. Eggs – 6 of any type
28. Flower Arrangement
29. Herbal Arrangement
Container Plant Section
Container must not exceed 65cm x 40cm in size
30. Floral planted container
31. Vegetable planted container
32. Herb planted container
Conserves and Preserves
Must be in 250ml to 500ml jars.
33. Jar of Jam any variety
34. Jar of Marmalade, any variety
35. Jar of Pickled Vegetables, any variety
36. Jar of mixed Pickles or Chutney, any variety
37. Miscellaneous conserve, preserve, butter or honey
38. 1 Cake any type
39. 1 small plate of biscuits any type
40. 1 small plate with 3 slices, any types
41. Home Baked Bread – any type
Can be made with any material, but must be made by the entrant
42. Adults Scarecrow
This is open for children 12 years old and under. Entry is Free.
43. Container planted with floral, vegetable or herbs (no more than 65cm x 40cm)
44. 2 decorated patty cakes for children
Any queries contact email@example.com,au or phone the Competition Organiser as per the Newsletter contact details.